Thursday, July 23, 2009

A lean mean fighting bean machine...

J & S Bean Factory in Saint Paul has a wide selection of their own roasted beans to choose from. I had heard that they were one of the better purveyors of roasted beans around so I decided to drop in this morning to check it out. The aromas of all their different blends wafted up the street to greet me and it was with keen anticipation that I ordered my two espressos...


How were they? Well the barista used an interesting tamping method, grinding and then pulling the filter back and pushing up on to the attached tamping tool, not my favorite method for tamping but it seemed to work for him. This might explain the slightly over extracted liquidity of the shots. This was really my only complaint, the rest of the experience was wonderful. The smokey aromas of wood and citrus leaped into my nose. The taste had a hint of green peppers and afterwards left a bitterness on the roof of the mouth that wasn't at all unpleasant. Nice crema and body even if a little watery. One of the baristas told me it was a blend of darker roasts from Costa Rica and Guatamala. I hope to return soon because they seem to change their espresso blends from time to time and who knows what I might taste next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment