Monday, July 20, 2009

Still haven't found what I'm looking for... usually.

espresso

These are great cups of espresso...


I keep looking for the good stuff, the aromas, the texture and body, the look, the feel. Few and far between the perfect cups of espresso. They represent the highest of all possible coffee worlds and I guess it's normal that I don't find art in every cup. I guess that should make it unique. Espresso is the end all and be all of everything that coffee can and should be. I want to taste those unique sharp flavors, that perfect bitterness and aftertaste where when you exhale it's like your last breath because that's all you needed in life and now you can die happy. Fortunately you don't die so you can go on searching for little works of art. My palette and nose cry out for more of a good thing and I cannot stop this journey I am on. I must continue this road I've set before myself and see where it takes me. With so many possibilities in every cup the road will be strewn with average espressos and a few great ones. So I push ever onward...

You can tell the difference almost immediately when you walk through the coffee house door. There is a different attitude, a professional demeanor, a passion for coffee, precision, attention to detail in every aspect. You can just feel it's going to be something special, and usually it is. These rare coffee houses employ people who know what they are doing, who understand the delicate balancing act that is espresso. They understand that you have to pay attention to the beans you buy, the way they're grown and cared for. You have to pay attention to the freshness of the bean before it is roasted, it can't sit around for too long. They choose the best roasters and assemble the best blends. They constantly strive to find the perfect blend of heaven on earth. And when those beans arrive they know that they must carefully prepare each cup. They pay strict attention to grinding, tamping, the purity of the water and temperature, making sure to serve the espresso in the right kind of holy ceramic vessel it deserves. In short they miss nothing...

And I understand why many do miss, why many espressos lack the perfect oily texture, full aromas, delicate crema and savory aftertaste that only the best prepared espressos have to offer. It's a complex process. But that doesn't mean we should demand anything less than more attention to detail and perfection. I've tasted art in a cup and everyone deserves a chance to do the same. We need to raise the standards, educate the coffee makers and public so that everyone can enjoy what they truly deserve to enjoy...

The perfect espresso. Or two in my case...

No comments:

Post a Comment