Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Eyeless in Gaza I Stumbled and Rose...

I stumbled like a lost Samson into Spyhouse (on Hennepin and 24th) only to find within its walls the elixir I had been seeking all along but had ignored. Outfitted in my favorite hat and bowling shirt and adapting the pseudonym "Steele" I slipped into the booth with 2 cups of espresso looking up at me with over tanned and reddish crema looks...


The menu said the espresso was made from a "secret blend of Italian roasts" and I can't blame them, better to keep something like this a secret it's so good. Full bodied aroma and taste that just lingers there and slides syrup like down your throat this was no ordinary blend of beans. Despite the large pulls the espresso was nevertheless thick and the crema beautiful, the taste slightly nutty with just a hint of citrus and wood to it. Totally different from the ristretto's I'm used to at Kopplin's but I loved it. I think the barista knew what she was doing too, which can never be minimized. I sure would like to know their secret recipe, although that might just spoil the whole spell. I guess you could say I was blind when I entered Spyhouse, but they gave me espresso that I might see... and taste... and smell! I think I might have to give them 4/5 shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment